This paper presents new empirical research about collective action, which suggests that, according to our common understanding, we do not need to seek the permission of our co-actors before leaving a collective action. We then consider what these results mean for a normativist theory of collective action.
This paper considers the consequences of recent empirical results for a class of views of collective intention.
This paper presents empirical research on intuitions about the normative relations involved in joint action. It suggests that the results support a “normativist” view of collective intention.
This paper argues against an attempted application of research in cognitive science and social psychology to philosophical debates about joint action. It then argues for a different way of applying that research.
This paper attempts a synthesis of work on the nature of social reality by John Searle and Antonio Gramsci. It argues that such a synthesis is mutually beneficial.
"Collective Action as Involvement"
- Social Ontology XII. July 2020.
"How We Act Together"
- Group Agency and Collective Responsibility Workshop. University of Gothenburg. March 2020.
- Normativity and Reasoning Workshop. NYU Abu Dhabi. February 2020.
- Social Ontology XI. August 2018.
"Why We Need a New Normativism about Collective Action"
- European Society for Philosophy and Psychology. Athens, Greece. September 2019.
"A Pathology of Group Agency"
- Group Agency and Collective Responsibility Workshop. University of Vienna. May 2019.
"Normativity in Joint Action"
- Workshop on Subjectivity, Normativity, and Acting Together. Humboldt University in Berlin. August 2017.
- Collective Intentionality X. August 2016.
- European Society for Philosophy and Psychology. St. Andrews, Scotland. July 2016.
- Southern Society for Philosophy and Psychology. Louisville, Kentucky. March 2016.
"Alignment and Commitment in Joint Action"
- Southern Society for Philosophy and Psychology. New Orleans, Louisiana. March 2015.
"Group Responsibility for Dissident Action"
- Collective Intentionality IX. September 2014.
"Coupling and Collective Intentionality"
- European Network for Social Ontology III. Helsinki, Finland. October 2013.
Bruce Nauman, "Pointing Heads"